Sheila Carmody's practice is concentrated on complex litigation with an emphasis on defense of insurance companies and manufacturers in class action cases, multi-jurisdictional litigation and general commercial litigation. She serves as coordinating and local counsel for insurers and manufacturers in national and Arizona litigation in various disputes as well as bad faith and coverage matters.
- View ›
- Counsel in National Class Actions for several major auto insurers; allegations included antitrust and conspiracy to use substandard non-OEM parts on customer vehicles. The Class had over 90 million members, and went to the 11th Circuit.
- Defended a National Class where it was alleged major auto insurers "omitted certain repairs" in estimates at the Federal trial level and again at the 7th Circuit.
- Defended Body Shop Class Actions alleging that insurer was required to pay inflated labor rates for customer repairs; the matter went to the 9th Circuit.
- Have acted as national and local lead counsel directing defense of state and federal multi-party and class actions against manufacturers and insurers; work with in-house counsel to manage resources to provide efficient services; cases have included antitrust, RICO, common law and statutory fraud, false advertising, and bad faith actions.
- Have served as Arizona counsel for out-of-state insurers on complex cases including coverage, termination and controversies with other carriers.
- Served as regional and local counsel in litigation alleging rheumatological diseases including silicone toxicity caused by products and defense of implantable devices including ‘mesh’ in different applications.
- Local counsel for pharmaceutical manufacturers in matters related to antidepressant drugs.
- Lead counsel in complex chemical toxic exposure cases relating to agricultural chemical manufacturing.
- Arizona State University College of Law (J.D., 1981)
- City College of the City, University of New York (B.A., cum laude, 1975)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- American Law Institute - Adviser on Principles of the Law of Aggregate Litigation (2004)
- Lecturer at Arizona State University College of Law on Mass Torts and Class Actions
- American Bar Association
- Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- Class Action and Multidistrict Litigation Committee
- Drug, Device and Biotechnology Committee
- Trial Tactics, Practice and Procedures Committee
- Professional Women's Forum
- Diversity Committee
- Women Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Gold 'n Gavel Star for 1981, ASU Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law (2017)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants (2007-2019)
- Outstanding Alumna: Class of 1981, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law (2011)
- Arizona's Finest Lawyers
- Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation - Corporate Counsel Edition (2008-2010)
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation (2007-2009, 2013)
- Greater Phoenix Attorney at Law Magazine feature story, "The Women of Snell & Wilmer" (December 2009)
- Best of the Bar: Chosen by Arizona Peers as Top Litigator (2003)
- St. Vincent de Paul, Member and Counselor
- Representation of parents of disabled children in Guardianship proceedings
Other Professional Experience
- Lewis and Roca LLP, Partner (1982-2001)
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- Supreme Court of California
- Supreme Court of Nevada
- Supreme Court of Florida
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- Supreme Court of Oregon
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit