Jason Yu focuses his practice in a broad spectrum of commercial litigation, employment liability, intellectual property and transactional work. He has extensive experience in all phases of litigation, including trials, and has litigated frequently in both state and federal courts. Jason has significant experience in cases involving debt collection, employment and labor law matters and trade secret misappropriation. His clients include corporations and individuals, including major manufacturers, banking and financial institutions, transportation and shipping companies, professional partnerships and technology companies.
Jason helps corporate and individual clients resolve their complex business disputes as quickly and efficiently as possible. He is skilled in the development of cost-effective litigation strategies, utilizing targeted pre-trial discovery and, when appropriate, law and motion and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). Jason also has an extensive track record for recovering financial debts on behalf of corporations.
As an employment and labor litigator, Jason offers comprehensive advice relating to employment and labor law matters. He counsels clients with regard to state and federal regulations affecting employers, including legislation regarding hiring practices, benefits and age and race discrimination. Jason is a frequent guest speaker giving seminars to local businesses with employment and labor law issues.
Jason, in addition to his work in commercial and employment litigation, represents a number of U.S. based subsidiaries headquartered in Asia. As a result, he has experience advising Asian clients with respect to doing business in the U.S. Jason is fluent in Chinese (Mandarin).
Jason Yu's Chinese bio available here.
- View ›
- Assisted China based company in locating and seizing assets in the U.S.
- Served as counsel to major Korean auto manufacturer with land purchase agreement
- Assisted China based company in complying with U.S. Department of Labor Employment Laws
- Represented Taiwan based company in alleged trade secret violations in the U.S.
- Assisted China based real estate company in locating monies a former employee embezzled in the U.S.
- Served as counsel for Chinese lighting manufacturer for breach of contract claim against a U.S. company
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (J.D. 2004)
- Senior Note and Comment Editor, Loyola of Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Review
- Loyola of Los Angeles Giles Sutherland Rich Memorial Intellectual Property Moot Court Team
- Top four briefs at the Southwestern Regional Competition
- Dean's List
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Judge Tashima (2004)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.S., Psychological Biology, 2000)
- Psi Chi – National Honor Society, Psychological Biology
- Chancellor's Award of Excellence
- Dean's List
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- Asian Pacific Community Fund
- Board Member (2013-present)
- Secretary of the Board (2014-present)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Southern California Chinese Lawyer's Association
- Taiwanese American Lawyer Association
- Board Member
Representative Presentations and Publications
- "Did Dynamex Destroy the Independent Contractor Model?" Co-Presenter, Snell & Wilmer Seminar, Los Angeles, CA (October 17, 2018)
- "Understanding Employer Liabilities," Speaker, APCPAA's 2nd Annual Networking and Business Advisory Symposium, Cerritos, CA (July 11, 2018)
- "Best Employment Law Practices and How to Minimize Employee Liabilities," Speaker, Labor and Tax Compliance Update Seminar, Monrovia, CA (May 24, 2018)
- "California Bans Inquiries About Salary History During Hiring Process," Author, Labor and Employment Law Blog (February 7, 2018)
- "2018 Employment Law Updates," Speaker, Topco Insurance Presentation Seminar, Montebello, CA (February 2, 2018)
- "What’s New in the State: 2017 California State Legislation," Co-Presenter, Employment Law Tool Kit Seminar, Snell & Wilmer, Costa Mesa, CA (November 7, 2017)
- "Employment Law Updates: How to Minimize Employment Lawsuits," Presenter, Comerica Bank, Los Angeles, CA (September 29, 2017)
- "Leveraging Knowledge of the Law to Avoid Common Mistakes," Co-Presenter, 2017 Greater Los Angeles Business Expo, Los Angeles, CA (May 11, 2017)
- "Annual Employment Law Update," Speaker, Taiwanese American Lawyer Association Law Symposium, Rosemead, CA (February 18, 2017)
- "Annual Employment Law Update," Speaker, Topco Insurance Presentation Seminar, Rosemead, CA (January 20, 2017)
- "Hidden Pitfalls in Commonly Negotiated Provisions in Key Business Documents," Co-Presenter, Association of Corporate Counsel (Southern California Chapter), Long Beach, CA (June 15, 2016)
- "2016 Employment Law Updates," Speaker, Topco Insurance Presentation Seminar, Rosemead, CA (January 29, 2016)
- "New Statutory Paid Sick Leave Laws and Regulations," Speaker, Chinese American CPA Association (September 2015)
- "Understanding California Wage and Hour Rules," Speaker, Taiwanese Chamber of Commerce (September 2013)
- "You're Fired! How to Proactively Handle Terminations," Speaker, New York Life Insurance Agents Seminar (July 2012)
- "Litigation 101, Understanding Litigation in California," Speaker, Guang Jiao Trade Show Seminar, Guangzhou, China (April 2009, April 2010)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2018)
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, Business Litigation (2009-2017)
- Top 100 (2016)
- Pasadena Super Lawyer, Business Law/Litigation (2009-2016)
Other Professional Experience
- Klinedinst PC
- Shareholder (2013-2016)
- Associate (2007-2012)
- Jackson and Wallace LLP, Associate (2005-2007)
- Cingular Wireless, Corporate Counsel (2004-2005)
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, Judicial Extern to Hon. Wallace Tashima (2004)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Supreme Court of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California