Our general federal tax practice includes advice and services to clients covering the entire spectrum of federal taxation issues, including those relating to:
- Organization of business activities and the structuring of transactions
- Formation and operation of partnerships, LLCs, C- and S-corporations
- Sophisticated corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, tracking stock transactions, reorganizations, and tax-free spin-offs of corporate subsidiaries
- Real estate transactions generally, including like kind exchanges, REIT-related transactions, and prevention of dealer status
- Charitable organizations and private foundations, including UBIT, prohibited transactions, excess benefit transactions, and business arrangements between exempt organizations and individuals or for-profit entities
- Representing taxpayers in IRS controversies and tax litigation; trial experience in Tax Court proceedings
- Debt restructuring and bankruptcy proceedings
- Public finance involving tax-exempt debt instruments
- Tax matters involving civil penalties or potential criminal sanctions
- U.S. taxation of foreign businesses and individuals and of foreign-source income earned by resident individuals or US corporations.
The firm provides speakers on various tax topics, both locally and nationally.
The general federal tax attorney team consists of well-trained, experienced tax specialists. They have all received LL.M.s in taxation or equivalent academic training. Several are active on various committees of the American Bar Association's Section on Taxation. Our tax lawyers have published articles in various professional publications and regularly make presentations to other lawyers and accountants regarding tax issues.
Our clients range from individuals to emerging businesses to national and international corporations. Snell & Wilmer's huge client base permits our federal tax attorneys to develop and maintain current and timely knowledge in a wide variety of tax areas.