Michael Reynolds’ practice is concentrated in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, corporate reorganizations, debtor, creditor, creditor committee and trustee representations, creditors’ rights and remedies. His practice also includes judicial foreclosures and receiverships and representation of non-profit public benefit corporations. Michael has significant experience in international litigation and judgment collection against foreign and domestic individuals, companies and government entities. He practices at the trial and appellate court level, in both state and federal court.
- View ›
- Represents financial institutions, banks, asset-based lenders, investment firms and private lenders in debt enforcement and realization solutions, involving transactions, workouts, sales, litigation, trials, appeals, receiverships, insolvencies and bankruptcies.
- Experienced in representing lenders with respect to various types of debts and real estate and non-real estate collateral packages, including commercial and residential properties, industrial and office properties. Experienced in a variety of industry areas, including but not limited to hotel and hospitality, manufacturing, technology, steel, chemicals, plastics, agriculture, trucking, transportation, home furnishings, automotive and retail.
- Lead counsel to large financial institution in complex, multi-jurisdictional real property and guaranty enforcement action involving multiple properties, borrowers, shell entities and fraudulent transfers.
- Experienced in prosecuting and defending preference and fraudulent transfer litigation in bankruptcy and non-bankruptcy courts.
- Represented and reorganized retail flooring company including confirmation of Chapter 11 plan by cramdown on dissenting creditors and interest holders.
- Represented Receiver for a gourmet grocer in excuse from turnover proceedings in bankruptcy and mediated settlement proceedings involving related state court lawsuits, appeals, and voluntary and involuntary Chapter 11 petitions.
- Represented and reorganized four residential real estate development companies in confirmation proceedings of a Chapter 11 plan through cramdown on dissenting creditors, with a substantial return to equity interest holders.
- Represented a $100+ million producer and distributor of baby and toddler-related gear and products in a bankruptcy case involving confirmation of Chapter 11 plan by cramdown on dissenting creditors.
- Represented and confirmed Chapter 11 plan for residential real estate developers.
- Represented and reorganized large commercial bakery in negotiations leading to a largely consensual Chapter 11 plan.
- Represented and reorganized a multi-million dollar e-business solutions firm through a cramdown of a Chapter 11 plan on dissenting creditors.
- Represented and reorganized a multi-million dollar trucking company through a cramdown of a Chapter 11 plan on dissenting creditors.
- Defended non-profit charity against eight-count lawsuit by the State Attorney General through a lengthy trial.
- Reorganized non-profit housing and redevelopment company by Chapter 11 cramdown on dissenting creditor classes.
- Represented a foreign labor union in a complex commercial dispute and defended efforts to enforce a judgment in proceedings to seek relief from a $270 million judgment against the union and to recover nearly $50 million in assets that had been improperly seized by creditors.
- Represented a private U.S. company in complex litigation in several different forums against the government of Chiapas, Mexico
- University of California at Los Angeles (J.D., 1994)
- University of California at Davis (B.A., 1991)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Orange County Bar Association, Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section, Chairman
- Orange County Bankruptcy Forum, President (2010); Board of Directors (2003-2011)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- California Receivers' Forum
Representative Presentations and Publications
Professional Recognition and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2018)
- Southern California Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, Bankruptcy, Corporate Reorganization, Creditors' Rights and Remedies (2003-2007)
- Young Gun (top 20 in Southern California under 40 years old), Daily Journal (March 2005)
Other Professional Experience
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California, Judicial Extern to Hon. Robert W. Alberts
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, Judicial Extern to Hon. Oliver W. Wanger
- Western State University School of Law, Adjunct Professor, Bankruptcy (2004-2008)
- Supreme Court of California
- United States District Court, All Districts of California