Ben Welch is a commercial litigator and trial attorney. Ben began his legal career as a criminal prosecutor and has worked on both sides of the criminal bar. He has tried felony cases before Utah juries and now applies those skills to high-conflict commercial litigation. Ben has a broad-based practice with a focus on contract disputes, corporate governance and entertainment law.
Contract Disputes. Ben represents clients in bringing or defending claims arising from all types of contracts, including employment agreements, franchise agreements, real estate purchase agreements, commercial leases, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, insurance agreements, factoring agreements, mortgages and other lending agreements. His clients participate in a variety of industries, including energy and natural resources, construction, mortgage lending, healthcare, manufacturing and distribution, sports and entertainment and insurance.
Corporate Governance. Ben counsels corporate directors and officers on implementing policies and procedures that may reduce companies’ exposure to litigation, reduce litigation costs, and assist in responding to third-party inquiries, subpoenas and writs. He also advises clients confronting investigation or discipline by a regulatory agency or other governmental authority.
Entertainment Law. Ben has a keen interest in entertainment law, particularly independent film. Ben assists filmmakers in securing intellectual property, managing risk, and negotiating with talent, crew and distributors. Ben was an executive producer for the feature film Highway to Dhampus (2014), which won numerous accolades including Best U.S. Premiere for a narrative feature at the Heartland Film Festival.
- Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School (J.D., 2010)
- Order of the Coif
- Foundation Press Award
- Brigham Young University (M.A., Comparative Literature, 2005)
- Brigham Young University (B.A., English & Comparative Literature, 2002)
Representative Presentations and Publications
- "Your Employee's Non-Compete Might Not Be Enforceable Anymore," Author, Utah Business (July 2018)
- "Beware the Tender Letter,” Author, Association of Corporate Counsel Mountain West Chapter FOCUS (2Q2018)
- “A Dish Best Served Cold: Questions for Evaluating Comparative Advertising,” Author, Association of Corporate Counsel Mountain West Chapter FOCUS (2Q2017)
- “Keeping Up With Document Retention,” Author, Association of Corporate Counsel Mountain West Chapter FOCUS (4Q2015)
- Utah Women's Walk, Advisory Board (2016)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Volunteer Representative, Leipzig, Germany (1997-1999)
Other Professional Experience
- Reneer & Associates, Attorney (2011-2014)
- Utah County Attorney's Office, Special Deputy County Attorney & Law Clerk (2008, 2010-2011)
- U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Utah, Intern (2009-2010)
- Parr Brown Gee & Loveless, Summer Associate (2008, 2009)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Office of General Counsel, Extern (2008)
- Supreme Court of Utah
- United States District Court, District of Utah