Client and Industry Challenges
Public and private corporations with operations and assets in Canada, as well as Canadian companies operating in the United States, often have complex, cross-border legal needs and goals that require the assistance of counsel with an in-depth understanding of Canada’s unique government, laws, culture, commercial structure and international relationships.
Snell & Wilmer's Canada practice group was formed to better serve our clients that do business or have interests in Canada. Our Canada services span virtually all practice areas, with particular strength in cross-border law and related issues involving mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, project finance, securities, financial restructuring and insolvency, litigation, international arbitration and international trade. We also handle tax planning and structuring and assist with immigration matters—including obtaining nonimmigrant visas and green cards—for Canadian owners and employees seeking to expand or start businesses or work in the United States.
Clients We Serve
Snell & Wilmer represents a broad cross section of industries and businesses involved in cross-border business and trade. Our clients, ranging from large corporations to emerging businesses and individual entrepreneurs, represent a variety of industry sectors including corporate finance, banking, information technology, natural resources and real estate.
Why Clients Select Us
Breadth and Depth of Experience: Snell & Wilmer's Canada practice group is comprised of more than ten attorneys practicing in our offices throughout the western United States. Some of these attorneys hold leadership positions in international organizations including the Canada-Arizona Business Council, the Canadian Bar Association and many provincial bar associations. Two of our attorneys are licensed and qualified to practice in both Canada and the United States.
International Connections: Our firm is a member of Lex Mundi, the leading association of some of the world's top 160 independent law firms. Through our active involvement with this recognized worldwide resource, our clients can have the confidence that they will receive quality representation from an elite selection of law firms with local market knowledge. This extensive network enables us to stay on the forefront of our profession and to provide a full range of quality legal services to our clients in more than 76 countries worldwide.
Our Canadian practice group has been involved in numerous and varied significant transactions over the years. A representative list of transactions includes:
- Represented U.S. clients in acquiring control of a public companies listed on Canadian Stock Exchanges and Canadian companies listed on U.S. Stock Exchanges
- Represented numerous Canadian companies in connection with private securities offerings in the U.S. and have represented U.S. companies in connection with private securities offerings in Canada
- Advised Canadian public and private companies relating to acquisitions of U.S. entities and raising capital in the U.S.
- Represented numerous U.S. clients involved in acquisitions and dispositions of interests in Canadian entities and assets
- Represented companies involved in cross-border trademark and patent licensing arrangements and advised clients on prosecuting patent applications in Canada.
- Represented various U.S. franchises in the development of international operations in Canada
- Represented U.S. companies connected with business in Canada and advised on various loan transactions and foreign collateral issues
- Represented U.S. entities in bankruptcy matters in Canada and advised Canadian bankruptcy trustees recovering money and property located in Canada