Ian Douglas’s practice is concentrated in real estate. His experience includes representing clients in the sale and acquisition of businesses and real property, and representing landlords and tenants in commercial lease transactions throughout the United States, including leases for casinos, office buildings, warehouses and restaurants. Ian has represented national and regional restaurant chains in real estate and other matters. He has represented school districts in the acquisition and disposition of real and personal property.
In addition to his real estate practice, Ian has represented both borrowers and institutional lenders in all aspects of secured loan transactions and real estate foreclosures. He has also represented debtors and creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
Ian has also advised school districts regarding numerous issues including copyrights and trademarks, employment issues, real estate and special education.
- Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2002)
- Associate Editor, BYU Journal of Law and Education
- Arizona State University (B.S., Psychology, summa cum laude, 1998)
Representative Presentations and Publications
- "Residential and Commercial Lease Issues in Bankruptcy," Speaker, Sterling Education Services (April 2013)
- "Disposition of School Property," Speaker, New Mexico School Law Conference (June 2011)
- "Trademark and Copyright Issues in Public Schools," Speaker, New Mexico School Law Conference (June 2012)
- "What School Administrators Should Know About the Indian Child Welfare Act," Speaker, New Mexico School Law Conference (June 2013)
- Samish Indian Nation, Member
Other Professional Experience
- Cuddy & McCarthy, LLP (2010-2013)
- Goff and Douglas, PC (2007-2010)
- Lewis and Roca LLP (2002-2007)
- New Mexico
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- Supreme Court of New Mexico
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States District Court, District of New Mexico
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit