Grant Langton is a partner in the firm's intellectual property group and serves as Chair of the intellectual property group in Los Angeles and Co-Chair of the intellectual property group in California. With over 25 years of experience handling patent prosecution, trademark prosecution, enforcement, licensing and IP counseling Grant helps clients strategically develop, protect, maintain and exploit their intellectual property assets both domestically and abroad.
Grant regularly counsels clients on matters related to patentability, design-around options and the infringement, validity and enforceability of patents. He has extensive experience prosecuting patent and trademark applications in the U.S. and worldwide, and has prepared licensing, consulting, employment, confidentiality, technology and product development agreements. In addition, Grant has assisted in-house counsel, chief executive, financial and technology officers and other corporate leaders to build, preserve and monetize their intellectual property portfolios. Working closely with management, scientists and engineers Grant has acted as de-facto Chief Patent Counsel for several Fortune 500 companies. By protecting core company technology Grant helps his clients gain a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Throughout his career, Grant has prepared and prosecuted U.S. and foreign patent applications and handled large patent portfolios in a diverse range of technology areas including medical devices such as pacemakers and spinal implants, material science such as ultra-hard material microstructures for subterranean drilling, all aspects of automobile technology, semiconductor and LED technology, fluid handling technology, polymer science such as industrial coating compositions, adhesives technology, RFID technology, and all types of mechanical technologies.
Prior to practicing law, he worked as a process and design engineer in the petrochemical industry.
- Loyola Law School, Loyola Marymount University (J.D., 1992)
- California Polytechnic University - Pomona (B.S., Chemical Engineering, magna cum laude, 1987)
- Minor in Material Science
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Institute of Chemical Engineering
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
Representative Presentations and Publications
- "Amendments to Rights of Federally Funded Inventions and Government Owned Inventions," Co-Author, Snell & Wilmer Legal Alert (April 23, 2018)
- "I Can't Do That with a Patent, Can I?" Co-Author, Orange County Business Journal (August 14, 2017)
- "Software Patents - Not a Waste of Money After All?" Co-Author, Orange County Business Journal (October 31, 2016)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- IP Star, Managing Intellectual Property Magazine (2013-2018)
- Top Patent Prosecutor, The Patent Research Review Patent Buddy (2011)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
Other Professional Experience
- Connolly Bove Lodge & Hutz LLP, Partner (2007-2014)
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Marmaro LLP, Partner (2003-2007)
- Christie, Parker & Hale, LLP, Partner (2000-2002), Associate (1992-2000)
- Chevron USA El Segundo Refinery, Process and Design Engineer (1987-1989)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California