Colin Ahler's practice is concentrated in commercial litigation, with a focus and particular experience in antitrust and unfair competition matters. Colin’s antitrust litigation experience includes the defense and prosecution of federal and state antitrust claims in multi-district litigation, class actions, competitor suits, and actions by government authorities. Colin has provided clients with antitrust counseling and compliance training, and has drafted antitrust policies and manuals for companies and trade associations.
Colin’s litigation experience also includes First Amendment law, appellate matters, real estate and land use matters, election law and Indian law. Colin has authored briefs filed with various federal and state appellate courts around the country including the U.S. Supreme Court and the Arizona Supreme Court. He has also assisted clients in conducting internal investigations.
Colin's pro bono practice has included a petition for post-conviction relief in state court, an amicus brief filed with the Arizona Supreme Court concerning the selection of members to the state's independent redistricting commission and the representation of clients seeking asylum under federal immigration law.
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 2005)
- Arizona State University (B.S., Economics, summa cum laude, 2001)
- Moeur Award Recipient (highest GPA in graduating class)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- Antitrust Section
- State Bar of Arizona
- Antitrust Section
- Maricopa County Bar Association
Representative Presentations and Publications
- "Proposed Aetna-Humana Merger Passes Another Hurdle in Antitrust Review," Author, Snell & Wilmer Legal Alert (February 19, 2016)
- "Interpreting California's Unfair Competition Law and False Advertising Law Standing Requirement," Co-Author, Products Liability Litigation Reporter, Volume 20 Issue 2 (March 9, 2009)
- ICM Food & Clothing Bank, Board Member
- Arizona Justice Project
- Florence Immigration and Refugee Rights Project
Other Professional Experience
- Perkins Coie LLP, Counsel (2012-2014), Associate (2005-2012)
- Brown & Bain, P.A., Summer Associate (2003-2004)
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit