Client and Industry Challenges
Military personnel and veterans often have unique legal issues related to their military service or return to civilian life, including needing representation before an administrative agency or advisement on security clearance, benefits, discharge or immigration matters. Reservist and veteran-owned businesses—or the companies that employ military men and women—also face distinct legal challenges and opportunities, including issues involving federal and state tax credits, labor and employment concerns, and government contracting regulations.
Attorneys in the military practice group understand the unique culture, issues and laws affecting military members—in fact, all of the group leaders are veterans themselves. Our group leaders are also licensed as Judge Advocates with each of the U.S. military service branches, and they collectively have more than 75 years of active and reserve service in the Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine Corps. Several of our attorneys have significant experience in representing clients in military courts and administrative proceedings. Our firm also has the advantage of having offices near most of the major military bases and installations in the western United States.
Areas of Service
Snell & Wilmer’s comprehensive military-related legal services extend to and beyond the below areas:
- Military administrative investigations and hearings
- Veterans benefits
- Security clearances
- Certification boards
- Estate planning
- Labor and employment
- Intellectual property issues relating to military technologies
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Returning Heroes Tax Credits
- Wounded Warriors Tax Credits
- Veteran business formation
- Government contracting for veteran-owned businesses
- Regulatory and legislative reform efforts
When necessary, our military attorneys work seamlessly with their colleagues practicing in the areas of labor and employment, government relations, business and finance, commercial litigation, professional licensure, tax credit finance, emerging business, employee benefits, intellectual property and private client services to deliver high-quality, cohesive and comprehensive services for our military clients.
Clients We Serve
Snell & Wilmer represents men and women in every branch of the military in every area of military-related law. We also have many clients in the local and national defense industry, as well as clients who proudly employ military reservists and veterans.
Why Clients Select Us
Involved and Invested: Our military attorneys are committed to staying up-to-date on, and invested in, the issues that affect military personnel, veterans and the companies that employ them; for example, we recently issued a bulletin to our financial services clients on critical military rights under the SCRA. Members of our team are involved in a variety of military service-focused organizations, including the Reserve Officers Association, the United States Selective Service System and the American Legion.
Committed to Military Personnel and Veterans: Several of our attorneys have also coordinated on pro bono legal services for combat veterans and participate in community involvement initiatives dedicated to military members and families, including serving on committees to establish new county veterans' courts.
Our attorneys have the experience necessary to assist with a diverse range of military law issues. Representative matters include:
- Assisting with FOIA and other records requests for discovery of military records
- Defending and evaluating USERRA and SCRA claims
- Advising clients concerning benefits available to reserve and veteran employees
- Analyzing civil liability in detention and deadly force scenarios
- Defending high-profile investigations and punitive discharge proceedings
- Negotiating construction and military base and installation use agreements
- Assisting in representations regarding Command Directed, JAGMAN or Inspector General investigations
- Representing civilians and military members in Office of Special Counsel proceedings