Legal Alert - Employer Identification Numbers: Updating Responsible Party Information


by Geoffrey L. Gunnerson and Carlene Y. Lowry

When filing for an Employer Identification Number (EIN), which is required for purposes of tax administration, the applicant must disclose the name and taxpayer identification number (e.g., Social Security Number, Individual Tax Identification Number, or EIN) of the principal officer, general partner, grantor, owner, or trustor of the entity. This individual or entity is termed the “responsible party.” If an entity has more than one responsible party, the entity may designate a responsible party from among such persons.

[Read the full alert.]