Wade R. Budge is a land use and real estate lawyer with significant experience advising developers and owners in all aspects of real estate development. He has negotiated entitlements for master planned communities, industrials projects, retail centers, office buildings, subdivisions and mountain resorts throughout Utah. He also regularly represents clients in the use, acquisition and disposition of real estate projects throughout the western United States. Wade has advised developers in obtaining public incentives and using public finance tools, including tax increment financing, to facilitate new and redevelopment projects and regularly advises clients with government relations matters involving state and local governments.
- View ›
- Negotiated and represented seller on an approximately $40,000,000 transaction to sell over 1,300 acres of undeveloped open space land located between two major ski areas and three resorts for use as a public and private year round recreational area.
- Acted as lead counsel in representing one of the largest nationwide automotive groups in acquiring and developing dealership properties and portfolio in eight states.
- Advised and represented developer/owner of a significant, multi-billion dollar retail, housing, and office project on obtaining entitlements and agreements for development from local regulating authorities.
- Represented property owners and sports teams in drafting zoning ordinances and associated development approvals for professional sports arenas, practice facilities and stadiums in multiple cities along the Wasatch front.
- Negotiated increment incentive agreement for retail business locating a new, approximately $90,000,000 business complex in a growing Wasatch front city.
- Advised multi-family developer on multiple projects involving tax increment financing to support affordable housing projects.
- Represented world renowned ski resort in obtaining permits and approvals required for an extension of resort area boundaries into significant ski terrain and associated development.
- Negotiated entitlements and ski resort use and access rights in connection with multiple hotel and condominium projects with local governments on behalf of developers. .
- Represented developer of a 1,300 unit master planned community and commercial area in obtaining entitlements in Summit County, including negotiating affordable housing, public amenities and community benefits.
- Represented owner of Utah’s premier golf community in negotiating with governmental entity for approvals for development from local, state and federal regulators.
- Represented multiple developer and property owners on lobbying Utah legislature regarding laws affecting retail center operators, public financing, real estate transactions and development.
- Represented school developers and both public and private schools in entitling new school sites within residential neighborhoods.
- Advised and represented financial institutions on sales of many hundreds of millions of dollars of real estate owned through foreclosure or deed in lieu negotiations.
- University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law (J.D., 1999)
- William H. Leary Scholar
- Brigham Young University (B.A., 1996)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Urban Land Institute (2018-present)
- Utah Land Use Institute, Board Member (2018-present)
Representative Presentations and Publications
- "Changing the Focus: Managing State Trust Lands in the Twenty-First Century," 19 Journal of Land Resources and Environmental Law 223 (1999)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business®, Real Estate (2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Land Use & Zoning Law, Real Estate Law (2013-2019)
- Salt Lake City Lawyer of the Year, Land Use & Zoning Law (2013)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers®, Land Use/Zoning (2018)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars Edition, Land Use/Zoning (2008, 2010-2011)
- Utah's Legal Elite: Natural Resources, Land Use/Environmental (2004-2011), Real Estate (2012-2018), Utah Business Magazine
- Carden Memorial Foundation Board of Directors (2018-present)
- Supreme Court of Utah
- United States District Court, District of Utah