Frances Folin’s practice is concentrated in natural resources (oil and gas, energy and mining), real estate and commercial finance. For clients in the natural resources industry, Frances manages all phases of acquisition, the development and operation of properties, rapid due diligence and title examination for fee, state, federal and Indian lands. She also assists clients with a wide array of real estate and commercial finance matters, including acquisitions and dispositions, financing, land use and development, leasing and permitting.
Frances is also Co-Chair of the Denver office’s Community Involvement Committee. The purpose of the Community Involvement Committee is to provide members of Snell & Wilmer with opportunities to give back. As Co-Chair, she organizes a number of varied and fun activities throughout the year to serve a wide population in the Denver metro area while bringing members of the firm together. As a result of her efforts, Frances received the firm’s Community Involvement Award for 2018.
- Assisted developers in the acquisition and sale of commercial and residential properties.
- Completed due diligence on behalf of lenders for residential and commercial real estate transaction and for loans including oil and gas assets as collateral.
- Completed rapid due diligence for private equity-backed acquisition of Bakken assets.
- Negotiated surface use agreements, easements, and oil and gas leases and assignments.
- Resolved disputes between operators and non-operators concerning working and royalty interest ownership, including operating cost deductions.
- Assisted in the representation of a client involved in dispute concerning mineral ownership riparian to a navigable waterway in North Dakota.
- Resolved a dispute concerning mineral ownership for a homeowner’s association in Adams County, Colorado.
- University of Denver, Sturm College of Law (J.D., 2010)
- University of Connecticut (M.A., History and American Studies, 2007)
- University of Connecticut (B.A., Political Science and History, 2005)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Colorado Bar Association, Natural Resources & Energy Section
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce
- Denver Petroleum Club
- North Dakota Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Texas Bar Association
Representative Presentations and Publications
- "Ballot Initiatives Make it to Colorado Secretary of State's Office," Author, S&W Environmental, Natural Resources, Oil and Gas Law Blog (August 17, 2018)
- "In Colorado, Ballot Initiatives Are Back in Full Force," Author, S&W Environmental, Natural Resources, Oil and Gas Law Blog (June 13, 2018)
- “Meet the Denver Business Journal’s 2018 Top Women in Energy,” Profile, Denver Business Journal (March 5, 2018)
- “COGCC Issues New Rules on Flowline Disclosure,” Author, S&W Environmental, Natural Resources, Oil and Gas Law Blog (February 14, 2018)
- “Oil and Gas Industry Seeks to Reframe Mindset on ‘Infrastructure,’” Author, S&W Environmental, Natural Resources, Oil and Gas Law Blog (January 25, 2018)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Denver Business Journal, Top Women in Energy (2018)
- Snell & Wilmer, Community Involvement Award (2018)
- Rocky Mountain Children's Law Center, Domestic Violence Program Guardian ad Litem, Junior Board (Present)
- Junior League of Denver, Finance and Operations Council (Present)
Other Professional Experience
- Kutak Rock LLP, Associate (2015-2016)
- Burleson, LLP, Senior Associate (2012-2015)
- Occidental Petroleum, Landman, Division Orders; Lease Analyst (2011)
- Colorado District Court, Second Judicial District, Judicial Intern to Judge William Robbins (2010)
- North Dakota
- Supreme Court of Colorado
- Supreme Court of North Dakota
- Supreme Court of Texas