Class Action Litigation – Insurance
Our team regularly defends insurance companies in national and state class actions. We have taken the lead in high-exposure class actions against carriers that have been dismissed either by the plaintiffs or courts. These cases have been in Madison County, Illinois (the birthplace of insurance class actions), Chicago, Florida, New Mexico, Arizona and California. We also consult for clients in numerous other jurisdictions.
Highlights of Snell & Wilmer's high-level class action litigation experience representing the insurance industry are summarized below.
- Represented large national automobile insurer in a $21 billion nationwide consumer class action alleging the price-fixing of insurance
- Defended multiple state and federal class action claims brought against insurers and manufacturers in state and federal courts in Arizona, California, Florida, New Mexico and Illinois. Worked with in-house counsel to manage resources and provide effective services
- As national and local lead counsel, directed state and federal class actions against insurers and manufacturers
- Served as Arizona counsel for out-of-state insurers on complex cases including coverage, termination and controversies with other carriers
- Defended large consumer auto insurers in multiple nationwide and state class actions alleging antitrust violations and seeking damages ranging from $2 billion to more than $20 billion
- Defended national insurance company in class action pending in Illinois requiring nationwide discovery coordination and collection of electronically stored information
- Represented major insurance company in an antitrust class action by industry group
- Represented health insurer in a nationwide consumer fraud class action alleging improper and concealed provider "discounts"