Class Action Litigation – Financial Services
Our financial services litigation team is a diverse group of attorneys with comprehensive experience in representing the financial services industry. Our attorneys possess a thorough working knowledge of all applicable statutes and regulations coupled with establishing collaborative working relationships with the client's internal litigation support personnel to effectively provide the early assessment necessary to ensure the cost-effective management of individual consumer cases. Snell & Wilmer’s Financial Services Litigation team has represented financial institutions in mediation, arbitration, trials and appellate matters in cases ranging in size from individual consumer cases to nationwide class actions.
Highlights of Snell & Wilmer's high-level class action litigation experience representing the banking industry are summarized below.
- Defended national financial service institutions and Fortune 500 companies in state and national class actions alleging various consumer claims and regulatory violations. Experience with MDL proceedings in class actions
- Defended national banking associations in class actions arising out of the Truth-in-Lending Act, fees assessed in connection with consumer payoffs of residential mortgage loans, over-limit fees assessed in connection with revolving credit card accounts, and interest rates assessed in connection with co-branded affinity credit card agreements
- Represented national banking association in a nationwide class action relating to late fees assessed in connection with revolving credit card accounts. Negotiated, documented and administered settlement with nationwide class
- Defended national major financial institution in a purported nationwide class action arising out of fees assessed in connection with consumer payoff of residential mortgage loans
- Defended a large national commercial lender in multi-million dollar lender liability litigation
- Proactively represented multiple national banking associations and credit card issuers in cases throughout the West in connection with issues arising from fraudulent debt avoidance schemes utilizing sham arbitration awards issued by unauthorized arbitration forum
- Representations include both defending against confirmation of sham arbitration awards, moving to vacate sham arbitration awards pursuant to the provisions of the Federal Arbitration Act and seeking injunctive relief to bar sham arbitration forum from issuing any further fraudulent awards with the customers of certain credit card issuers
- Extensive representations of financial services institutions in matters arising under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, Truth in Lending Act and various federal and state consumer protection statutes throughout the West
- Currently defending three class actions (wrongful foreclosure cases) in Nevada for a mortgage lending institution
- Lead counsel for class action defendants in Utah, Arizona and Illinois, in cases involving complex federal statutory schemes, including consumer protection cases against lending and financial institutions
- Represented a national bank in a class action involving claims of discriminatory lending practices