Robert Pohlman is a highly accomplished trial lawyer who has been practicing for over 30 years and has served as lead counsel on more than 70 jury trials. His primary focus is in insurance coverage and bad faith litigation with special emphasis on complex commercial, toxic tort, technology and business litigation.
Over the course of his career, Robert has appeared and argued before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (including en banc proceedings), and led cases to successful jury verdict and judgment in Arizona and Colorado, and United States district courts. He participated in one of the first Markman hearings scheduled in the United States District Court for the District of Arizona and was named Summation litigator of the month in 1997.
In addition to his extensive trial experience, Robert is very familiar with alternative dispute resolution and achieving favorable settlements for clients. He also has experience as a mediator, arbitrator and settlement conference Judge Pro Tempore. Robert was selected as an attorney team member for the Arizona Commission on Judicial Performance Review.
Upon graduation from law school, Robert served five years as an Officer of the United States Air Force Judge Advocate General’s Department, spending two years overseas in Izmir, Turkey.
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 1971)
- United States Air Force Academy (B.S., 1968)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Federal Bar Association
- Mountain States Legal Foundation, Board of Litigation
- Maricopa County Bar Association
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Litigation Team of the Year Award, Volunteer Lawyers Program Pro Bono Awards (2014)
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation (2011-2013)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Regulation Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy), Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants (2009-2019)
- Phoenix Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants (2019)
- Arizona’s Finest Lawyers
- United States Air Force Academy Association of Graduates
- Villas Encantadas Homeowners Association, Inc., President
Other Professional Experience
- Holme Roberts & Owen LLP, Senior Counsel (2010-2011)
- Ryley Carlock & Applewhite, Shareholder (1991-2010)
- United States Air Force, Officer JAGC (1971-1976)
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- Supreme Court of Colorado
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit