Kelly Wilkins earns a client’s trust by understanding its business and efficiently meeting its goals. She likes helping clients solve problems and telling their side of the story in a compelling way. From advising on regulations to trying cases, Kelly’s broad experience as corporate counsel and outside counsel enable her to support client goals with strong business sense and practical direction.
Kelly advises, defends and tries cases for clients throughout the western U.S. She defends companies in product liability, cybersecurity, privacy and business matters. Those clients include Fortune 100 companies with internationally recognized brands, as well as small businesses. She advises businesses on data security and data privacy issues such as data breaches, contracts, and data collection and sharing, and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/US. Kelly was a civil litigation lawyer in Boston for ten years and later managed cases nationwide for General Electric Company.
Her expert commentary is frequently published and appreciated by readers all over the country. For fourteen years, Kelly has written a popular yearly feature about civil verdicts as the cover story of the state bar magazine, Arizona Attorney. She is a prominent authority on verdict results and trends. Kelly is a frequent and dynamic speaker and writer.
- Securing your cyber world. Kelly advises clients on the rapidly changing landscape of cybersecurity, data protection and privacy. She regularly advises companies on actions in response to data breaches, including on a nationwide scale and in fast-paced environments. She advises on cyber regulations such as GDPR and the California Consumer Privacy Act. She champions the firm's online interactive Data Breach Map. Kelly's years of experience as a Certified Information Privacy Professional benefit clients because she understands the legal, business and technical sides involved.
- Defending your product. Kelly has defended manufacturers in cases involving structural design, materials, dynamics, protective features and equipment, fires and explosions, and warnings. She defends manufacturers against claims about drugs, medical devices, dietary and nutritional supplements, recreational equipment, vehicles and trucks, and electrical and industrial equipment. Kelly defends claims involving death, disability, catastrophic and serious injuries, and disease.
- Navigating regulations. Kelly leads Snell & Wilmer's Consumer Product Safety team and counsels clients on complex regulations. She helps businesses write useful product warnings, develop compliance and testing programs, and certify their products. Kelly has managed recalls in which thousands of products were recalled and replaced. Companies call upon her advice on a wide scope of regulations (CPSC, FDA, USDA, NHTSA, FTC and USCG).
- Taking it to trial. Kelly’s high-exposure jury trials have been in places like Arizona, California, Texas, Florida and Massachusetts. She has tried cases for trucking companies in multiple-vehicle crashes, for automotive manufacturers in rollover crashes and for an industrial products manufacturer in a drawbridge collapse.
- Boston College Law School (J.D., 1991)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A., Political Science and International Relations, 1988)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Judge Pro Tempore, Superior Court, Maricopa County, Arizona (2017-2018)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Certified Information Privacy Professional/US
- Women in Cybersecurity
- Product Liability Desk Reference, Arizona Chapter, Co-Author and Co-Editor
- Defense Research Institute
Representative Presentations and Publications
- "Real World Scenarios for the California Consumer Privacy Act," Author, Corporate Counsel Magazine (February 15, 2019)
- "How Do We Get Ready for the California Consumer Privacy Act?," Speaker, ISACA Phoenix Chapter (October 25, 2018)
- "The Arizona Data Breach Law," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (August 3, 2018)
- "What's Unique About the California Consumer Privacy Act," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (July 5, 2018)
- "Arizona Civil Verdicts: 2017," Author, Arizona Attorney (June 2018)
- "Snell & Wilmer Rolls Out Interactive Data Breach Map," Co-Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (June 6, 2018)
- "Mediation is the New Trial," Speaker, State Bar of Arizona (May 30, 2018)
- "Business Email Compromise: What It Is and What You Can Do," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (November 2, 2017)
- "New Mexico's Data Breach Law," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (August 14, 2017)
- "Cybersecurity Rules for Colorado Investment Advisers and Broker-Dealers," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (August 8, 2017)
- "Prepare to Be Hacked: Practical Pointers for Protecting Your Company's Digital Assets," Speaker, State Bar of Arizona (May 3, 2017)
- "Cybersecurity Requirements for New York Financial Companies," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (March 6, 2017)
- "California's Data Breach Laws," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (February 10, 2017)
- "Preparing for Cyber Armageddon," Moderator, State Bar of Arizona (December 15, 2016)
- "Privacy and The Cell Phone: Arizona Says Yes," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (September 15, 2016)
- "Best Practices for Cybersecurity in Vehicles," S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (July 29, 2016)
- "Cybersecurity," Speaker, ABA 15th Circuit Spring Meeting (February 27, 2016)
- "What's in the Cybersecurity Act of 2015?," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (February 9, 2016)
- "Practical Perspectives to Protect Practitioners and Clients from Cybersecurity Threats," Speaker, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Convention (November 5, 2015)
- "How to Protect and Secure Your Connected Devices," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (October 8, 2015)
- "Dealing With the Evolving Privacy and Cybersecurity Regulatory Ecosystem," Speaker, International Association of Privacy Professionals KnowledgeNet (September 16, 2015)
- "'Pocket Dial' Mobile Phone Calls: Private or Not?," Author, S&W Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Law Blog (August 3, 2015)
- “What’s the ‘Internet of Things’ and What Are Its Legal Challenges?,” Author, Product Liability Update (January 5, 2015)
- "Getting What You Want From a Jury: Lessons Learned From Top Jury Trial Verdicts," Speaker, State Bar of Arizona (July 17, 2014)
Professional Recognition and Awards
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Personal Injury – Products: Defense (2017-2018)
- Medal of Excellence, State Bar of Arizona (2014)
- Habitat for Humanity Central Arizona, Volunteer and Family Partner (2005-2011)
- Volunteer Lawyers Program, Pro Bono Attorney representing clients through Community Legal Services of Arizona (2004-present)
- New York
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- Supreme Court of New York
- Supreme Court of Texas
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit