Jim Mulligan's practice emphasizes most aspects of commercial and mixed-use real estate, including urban, resort and suburban developments, with an additional focus in the structured financing and corporate areas of practice. He represents private and institutional owners, developers, investors, lenders, owner associations, managers, brokers, contractors, and federal, state and local political subdivisions with regard to all forms of real estate ownership, land use and entitlements, development, financing, leasing, management and joint ventures of all kinds, public/private redevelopment projects (including historic designations, tax-increment financed projects, tax-credit structures, and taxable and tax-exempt bond issues), corporate campuses, transit-oriented developments, planned and common interest communities, public private infrastructure partnerships and acquisition/disposition transactions. Jim has represented the real estate ownership, development and finance industries in Colorado and throughout the Rocky Mountain region on legislation, regulatory concerns and other issues. He also represents corporate and commercial clients on a variety of public policy and government relations issues, initiatives and related legislation. Jim also has had extensive experience with affordable housing projects and programs, and has been appointed Special Deputy Attorney General representing the Colorado Division of Housing in finance transactions.
- Mixed-Use, TOD-Garrison Station: First mixed-use, Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) to be constructed along the West Corridor of the Denver Metro FasTracks transit system, involving retail, bank pad, office and multi-family development.
- Mixed-Use Work-Force Housing: Site acquisition, land-use approvals and entitlements, design, development, construction and lease-up of a mixed-use retail, parking and multi-family rental property, involving the use of tax-credit and HUD-insured financing, land-use regulatory agreement and related regulatory and management issues to complete the largest 100 percent affordable housing property in downtown Denver at the time.
- Public Financing: Layered public financing for major mixed-use development involving the issuance and refinancing of several series of senior and subordinate bonds secured by tax-increment, public improvement and property assessment revenues.
- Master Development Agreement: Master Development Agreement with local jurisdiction for the design, land use and entitlement matters/approvals, platting, infrastructure improvement (on and off-site) and marketing of developed sites in Wheat Ridge, Colorado, involving the local urban renewal authority as landowner, client as master developer, and tax increment financing, HUD Community Development Block grants, private financing; structured to meet the funding deadlines and the first parcel buyer’s timeframe for its building construction schedule.
- Master Planned Community Governance Regime: Land-use and entitlements for a 500-acre mixed-use (residential, regional big-box retail, office, light industrial, parking) master-planned community, including a sustainable master community governance regime that was crafted in line with the plan’s LEED ND designation, one of the first in the nation.
- High-Rise Twin-Tower Condominium/Parking Complex: Site acquisition, land use and entitlements, development, project and unit financing, construction, CC&Rs, individual unit sales and HOA transition for a 270-unit condominium/parking complex in Denver, also involving federal, state and local regulatory approvals, including agreements with local urban renewal authority and neighborhood groups.
- Long-Term Ground lease for Tax-Exempt Entity: During 2012, represented a 501(c)(3) entity in its structuring, negotiation and consummation of long-term ground lease from a separate, third-party tax-exempt ground lessor for the client’s operations.
- Office Building Developments: Represented several for-profit and non-profit developers in the acquisition, development, financing and leasing of various forms of office, medical and industrial buildings to single and multi-tenanted properties.
- Higher Education: Represented the developer of a student housing project in downtown Denver in its structuring, negotiation, development, tax-exempt financing and construction of a first-phase 750-bed student housing project for a tax-exempt real estate foundation owner.
- Corporate Campus: Acquisition of 450-acre site; deconstruction of existing 1.7 million square foot facility on site; and due diligence, zoning and land use submittals and preliminary approvals for the development of a 2.5 million square foot corporate campus focused on a Global Training Institute, a Global Research & Development Complex and related office and support facilities for the client, a Fortune 5 company.
- Real Estate Leasehold Asset Financing: Commercial Mortgaged Backed Securities (CMBS) loan secured by four properties located in three different states with income streams from long-term ground leases, including leases to the U.S. government General Services Administration.
- Bank Qualified Loans: Represented several banks in their bank qualified loans to special and metro districts to refinance/refund bond issues.
- University of Denver College of Law (J.D., 1974)
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst (B.A., 1969)
- Supreme Court of Colorado
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
Professional Memberships & Activities
- American Bar Association, Real Property & Probate Section
- Colorado Bar Association, Real Estate Section
- Chair, 1984
- Denver Bar Association
Representative Presentations & Publications
- Trends in Social Infrastructure, Author, Law Week Colorado (August 12, 2013)
- 2013 Legislative Agenda: A Perspective, Author, Law Week Colorado (January 14, 2013)
- 2012: Reviewing legal issues for CRE, Co-Author, Colorado Real Estate Journal (December 19, 2012)
- Denver's Transit-Oriented Mixed-Use Development, Author, Colorado Real Estate Journal (October 17, 2012)
- ‘Mile-High’ Overview of EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program, Co-Author, Colorado Real Estate Journal (June 6, 2012)
- 2012 forecast: P3s in the mix, Author, Colorado Real Estate Journal (February 15, 2012)
- Infrastructure development and related project finance players, Author, Colorado Real Estate Journal (July 6-19, 2011)
- Opportunities, challenges abound in 'broken' RE developments, Co-Author, Colorado Real Estate Journal (June 1-14, 2011)
- Public-private partnerships offer infrastructure production options, Author, Colorado Real Estate Journal (October 20-November 2, 2010)
- Structuring transactions in this economy: raising private equity, Co-Author, Colorado Real Estate Journal (July 1-14, 2009)
- Colorado Construction Defects - an Update, Author, Colorado Real Estate Journal (July 2007)
- Mixed-Use Development in Colorado, Presenter, Colorado Real Estate Journal - Spring Conference (April 2007)
- Resort Real Estate Development, Author, Colorado Real Estate Journal (June 2006)
- Legal & Policy Issues Affecting Affordable Housing in Colorado, Author & Presenter, Colorado Real Estate Journal (2001)
- Real Estate Finance & Real Estate Development, Teacher, University Of Denver Sturm College Of Law (1983-2000)
- Condominium Law & Practice, Author & Teacher, University Of Denver Sturm College Of Law (1983-2000)
- RESPA - An Update, Contributing Author, Colorado Lawyer (1998)
- Affordable Housing in Colorado's Mountain Communities, Author & Presenter, Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute (1996)
- Real Estate Joint Venture Work-Outs with Financial Institutions, Author & Presenter, U.S. Savings League (1988)
- Symposium of Condominium Law & Practice, Symposium Editor & Contributing Author, Colorado Lawyer (November 1982)
- In addition, Jim has further authored and lectured extensively in the areas of Land Use & Entitlement, Real Estate Development (including Mixed-Use Development), Real Estate Financing, Master-Planned Communities, Condominium Law & Practice, CIOA, Public Private Partnerships and Affordable Housing.
Professional Recognition & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law (2013-2014)
- Colorado Super Lawyers®, Real Estate (2007-2013); Land Use/Zoning, Government Relations (2007-2011)
- Lawyers of the Decade, Law Week Colorado (2011)
- Super Lawyers®, Real Estate - Business Edition (2011)
- Lawdragon Top 3000 Leading Lawyers in America (2010-2011)
- Super Lawyers®, Real Estate - Corporate Counsel Edition (2009-2010)
- Power Book Top 10 Business Newsmaker in Law, Denver Business Journal (2010)
- Barrister’s Best: Real Estate Lawyer, Law Week Colorado (August 2009)
- Lawyer of the Year, Law Week Colorado (2009)
- Metropolitan State University of Denver Foundation, Board Member (2011-present)
- Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce, Board & Executive Committee (2008-present)
- Metro Denver Economic Development Corp, Board & Executive Committee (2008-present)
- Colorado Competitive Council (C3), Investor Committee (2008-present)
- Aurora Economic Development Council, Board of Directors, Chairman (2007)
- National Association of Office and Industrial Properties, Colorado President (2007)
- Real Estate Advisory Boards for C.U. and D.U. (2000-present)
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Denver, Inc., Board of Directors (1993-present)
- Downtown Denver Partnership, Denver Civic Ventures Board (1991-1998)
- Southeast Business Partnership (1998-2000)
- Downtown Denver Task Force, Chair (1992 & 1996)
- Colorado's Gubernatorial Unified Housing Task Force, Chair (1988)
- Colorado Association for Commerce and Industry (1986-1988)
- Colorado Housing Assistance Corporation, Board of Directors (1986)
- Mackintosh Academy, Board of Directors (1986-1988)
Other Professional Experience
- Fairfield and Woods, Director (2000-2009)
- Mayer Brown, Partner (1981-1989)
- Mulligan Professional Corporation (1975-1981, 1989-2000)