Jennifer Dioguardi is based in Snell & Wilmer's Phoenix office where she serves as Co-Chair of the firm's Financial Services Litigation Group. Jennifer handles complex commercial litigation with an emphasis on banking, consumer financial services and securities litigation, FINRA arbitration proceedings, shareholder derivative litigation, D&O litigation, class actions, internal investigations and privacy and data security issues.
Jennifer's securities practice includes the representation of a number of financial institutions, including retail and investment banks, commercial lenders, underwriters, broker-dealers, investment advisors and publicly traded and privately held companies in federal court, state court and SRO arbitrations. She has represented these clients in matters involving claims for violations of federal and state registration and securities fraud statutes, directors' and officers' liability, shareholder derivative litigation, unsuitability, selling-away, churning, unauthorized trading and failure to supervise. Jennifer's practice also includes the representation of shareholders, officers, directors and corporations in connection with shareholder derivative litigation, D&O litigation and internal investigations.
Jennifer's financial services litigation practice includes the representation of national and local banks, merchant processing and service organizations, credit card issuers, mortgage lenders, automobile finance servicing organizations and securities broker-dealers in matters throughout the West. She has represented these clients in matters involving lender liability claims that include loan commitments, bad-faith dealing, termination of credit and wrongful acceleration of foreclosure, Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Home Ownership Equity Protection Act (HOEPA), Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), Unfair Debt Collection Practices Act (UDCPA), consumer fraud statutes, demand deposit account disputes involving check fraud, check kiting presentment and clearing issues, business torts and breach of contract issues. Jennifer has represented credit card issuers in disputes involving allegations of fraudulent transactions, authorized users, reversed charges, application of payments, interest rate disclosures and modifications, change in terms and fees and disclosures for related products and services. She has also represented merchant processors in litigation involving hold-backs, unauthorized business lines, termination, fees, commissions for merchant processor sales representatives and contract disputes involve merchant account agreements. Jennifer advises clients on privacy issues arising from the collection and use of consumer non-public personal financial information.
As a member of the Snell & Wilmer Hiring Committee, Jennifer is actively involved in bringing the brightest young lawyers to the firm.
- Successfully defended major financial institution in a purported nationwide class action case arising out of fees assessed in connection with consumer payoff of residential mortgage loans. The matter was dismissed in the motions stage.
- Successfully defended national banking organization in purported class action relating to its obligations under TILA (15 U.S.C. § 1601 et seq.) related to a co-branded affinity credit card offered in conjunction with a national airline. The matter was dismissed in the motions stage and a substantial attorneys' fee award was obtained against the plaintiff. Successfully argued and defended the appeal before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully defended a hotel/casino in purported nationwide class action relating to a telephone surcharge. Class certification was denied and the matter was subsequently dismissed for lack of prosecution. Obtained six-figure attorneys' fee award against the plaintiff.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of credit card issuer in an action alleging that the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. § 1681 et seq.) required card issuer to report credit limits to consumer reporting agencies. Successfully defended the appeal before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Efficiently represented multiple mortgage lenders and servicers in matters commenced throughout the West by homeowners seeking to prevent residential loan foreclosures and in matters involving interest rate disclosures, fees, payoff amounts, account reconciliation, insurance coverage, foreclosure and loan modification issues with respect to both residential and commercial loans.
- University of Arizona (J.D., magna cum laude, 1997)
- Phi Delta Phi
- Dean's List
- Order of the Coif
- Editor-in-Chief, Arizona Journal of International & Comparative Law
- University of Washington (B.A., 1991)
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Professional Memberships & Activities
- State Bar of Arizona
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Woman Advocate Committee, Committee Newsletter, Co-Editor (2004-2005)
- Membership Subcommittee; State Membership Coordinator (Arizona) (2005)
- Judicial Intern Opportunity Program, Volunteer Interviewer (2006-present)
- Litigation Section
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Arizona Women Lawyer's Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Member
Representative Presentations & Publications
- Don't Wait for a Data Compromise, Presenter, twtelecom Data Breach Seminar (June 5, 2013)
- Patent Trolls and the Financial Services Industry, Presenter, Arizona Banker's Association Annual Convention (June 3, 2013)
- Legal Ethics & Cloud Computing and Data Privacy, Presenter, Association of Corporate Counsel, Arizona Chapter (May 21, 2013)
- New Rules May Shield Distressed Homeowners, quoted in article by Peter Eaves, New York Times, at B10 (January 17, 2013)
- New CFBB Mortgage Rules May Hurt Developers, Spur Suits, quoted in article by Kaitlin Ugolik, Banking Law 360 (January 15, 2013)
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Finalizes the Ability-To-Repay and Qualified Mortgage Rule, Author, Financial Services Litigation Bulletin (January 2013)
- Legal Debrief, Presenter, Arizona Banker's Association's Annual Convention (June 11, 2012)
- Best Practices in Privacy and Data Protection 2012, Responding to a Data Breach, Presenter (April 25, 2012)
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Considering the Proposal of New Mortgage Servicing Rules, Author, Financial Services Litigation Bulletin (April 2012)
- Safeguarding Against D&O Claims Arising Out of the Financial Crisis, Presenter, Arizona Bankers Association's Annual CEO & Bank Directors College (October 26, 2010)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act Preemption in the Ninth and Tenth Circuits, Author, Financial Services Litigation Bulletin (September 2010)
- Surprise! SEC Approves Amendments to the Custody Rule, Co-Author, American Bar Association, Commercial & Business Litigation Newsletter, Focus on Securities Litigation, Vol. 11, No. 3 (Summer 2010)
- Amendment to Electronic Fund Transfer Act Restricts Overdraft Fees with Mandatory Compliance Date of July 1, 2010, Co-Author, The Banking Law Journal, Vol. 127 No. 4 (April 2010)
- Shareholder Derivative Litigation Essentials, Presenter (April 22, 2009)
- The Ethical Implications of Shareholder Derivative Suits, Presenter, Association of Corporate Counsel, Arizona Chapter (May 20, 2008)
- The Pre-Suit Demand Requirement In Shareholder Derivative Suits, Author, Focus, Association of Corporate Counsel, Arizona Chapter (3rd Quarter 2008)
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Arizona Woman feature article, "Zooming Ahead: How to boost your career and accelerate job success through volunteering" (April 2005)
- The Woman Advocate, Outstanding Newsletter Editor, ABA Section of Litigation (2004-2005)
- Central Arizona USTA (United States Tennis Association), Board of Directors, Second Vice-President (2014-present)
- Friends of Public Radio Arizona, Board of Directors (2010-2013)
- First Press Fine Wine Auction, Chairperson (February 16, 2013)
- Herberger Theater Center, Board of Directors (2006-2012)
- Arizona Theatre Company, Board of Trustees, (2005-2007)
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- One of "AZ's Up-and-Coming Couples" for business, civic and political involvement (2005)
- City of Phoenix, Encanto Village Planning Committee Member (2003-2008)