Eric Nielsen's practice is centered on intellectual property counseling—in particular, the design and implementation of business driven strategies to identify, protect, defend, enforce and otherwise build value around IP assets, including patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets.
He has experience in many facets of IP law including patent and trademark prosecution (U.S. and foreign), proceedings before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, freedom to operate diligence, invalidity and non-infringement opinion work, patentability diligence, trademark screening, IP dispute resolution and litigation (state and federal), and diverse agreements and business transactions having IP components.
Eric counsels clients ranging from emerging growth companies to global Fortune 500 companies, and has technical expertise in, among other fields, bioengineering, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, molecular biology, ophthalmology, mechanical devices, “green” technologies, a wide range of consumer products and business methods.
Eric regularly presents to academia and businesses on various IP topics, and he works closely with a number of technology incubators.
- Santa Clara University School of Law (J.D., 2006)
- University of Utah (B.S., Biomedical Engineering, 2003)
- Specialization in Biomechanical Engineering
- Sigma Chi, Beta Epsilon
- Supreme Court of Utah
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- United States District Court, District of Utah
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Memberships & Activities
- State Bar of Utah
- State Bar of Arizona
- International Trademark Association ("INTA")
- Arizona BioIndustry Association ("AZBio")
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
Representative Presentations & Publications
- Trademark Advice: Measure Twice, Cut Once - How to Avoid Unnecessary Legal Fees, Utah Business (February 21, 2013)
- Safeguarding your business' trade secrets, Co-Author, The Enterprise - Utah's Business Journal (July 16, 2012)
- Clark Planetarium Advisory Board
Other Professional Experience
- Affymetrix, Inc., Intellectual Property Intern, Santa Clara, California
- John A. Moran Eye Center, Center for Neural Interfaces, Research Assistant, Salt Lake City, Utah